Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Our Education lacks Teeth

Its been nearly 10 years since I completed my Engineering degrees (also means I am away from the happening college crowd for 10 years, miss those time :( ).

Things have changed the way it was, now even school going kids have a mobile phone, iPods/iRiver, have acessible to computers more than we could, internet has bloomed to its full, information is just a click away, everything has become tech savvy, BUT seriously nothing has changed when it comes to the way education is taught, the syllabus (maybe it has changed, but seriously I do not see any perceivable changes that it is providing to the new lot as compared to when I was studying).

I strongly feel our education system lacks teeth, that killer instinct that has to be instilled in each and every child.

*** 07-Apr-2006 6:17pm *** (wish to complete)
The reason why I feel so is, apart from those dedicated and concerned individuals who go out of the way and teach the student apart from what is texted (not a typo, my word for contents in book), I was lucky to have one such teacher (during my pre-university classes), he used to tell us a lot about social values, what to do, what not to do - I used to always think what if the same was taught to me during my formative years, I would have been a much better human being that what I am.

Our education system, does it teach
- Us to be a law abiding people,
- Each one of us what it means to pay tax and how it benefits the society as a whole,
- Traffic discipline,
- Not to be corrupt,
- Politics is also a good option as a career and what difference does the educated clan can make to the current political scenario,
- Teach about the biggest scams which have happened in the recent past, and with it send a message that by doing it, we are hurting ourselves,
- India is one?

I can go on (which I will defnitely will do as and when required).

Sleeping when the house is on fire may help you not to see the damage but won't help in saving the house.

No comments: